Sunday, July 4, 2010

Second Chance

A week ago today, I was involved in a terrible car accident. I left a family gathering about 12:00 am, dropped my favorite friend off at home, and headed towards my house. Within 3-4 miles of my house, I turned down a side street that I always take to avoid a traffic light or two. After turning down this street, in the distance, I noticed a pickup truck turn onto the street coming towards me. He swerved back and forth across the middle line. I assumed he would recover. He did not. The next thing I remember was my headlights shining brightly on the side of his truck. I felt a sharp pull, as my body slammed forward and then backwards into my seat. Then I remember seeing white, my airbags had deployed. The pick up truck rolled across perpendicular to my car, over the side of a hill. All I saw was smoke and the tail lights of his car vertically up in the air. I wasn't sure where the smoke was coming from so I got out of the car. I was hysterical. A woman came to me and hugged me and told me over and over again "Sweetheart, it's ok, you are alive! You're ok, you're alive!" Every time I looked at my car, I would start to cry all over again, because I couldn't believe what had just happened or that I even survived it. I kept asking what happened to the other driver. All I could think about was this story about the drunk driver that killed the State Intern. I frantically asked if the other driver was ok. They informed me that he had gotten out and ran on foot from the scene.

A few days later, I went to the tow yard to see if my car was really damaged as much as I thought. This is what is left of my car:


Right in the tow yard, I began to cry again. As I was sooooo grateful to God that he spared me. The car can easily be replaced. I posted the following statement to my Facebook page, along with a picture of my tattered car:

I was involved in a terrible car accident on Saturday evening. I thank God that He chose to spare my life. PLEASE be careful on the roads! Especially late at night. Although, you may be confident in your driving ability, you CANNOT control other drivers. This is what is left of my car. I am so grateful to be ALIVE! Much love to my fam for taking care of me.



One of my Facebook friend's reply, really resonated in my spirit he said:
"Wow[,] God must have some serious work for you to do for the [K]ingdom. That look[s] like a wake up call to me[.]"

Upon retrieving the police report, it turned out that the other driver took out a mailbox on my side of the street before striking me. The registered owner of the car lives about 5 minutes down the street in the direction that the driver was traveling. I could choose to be angry, but I am just grateful that I woke up that morning and every morning since. I still have all of my limbs and I am breathing. Many people are not so fortunate. I have been asking God to bless the other driver, because he obviously survived the impact as well. I just began to think over the past week and how I could've died, 3 minutes away from my home. Would I be pleased with the legacy that I have created thus far. I know that both my mother and my father were my angels that night. I am so grateful for God's omnipotence, because He can see my future and knows that there is still work for me to do here on earth. I feel so incredibly blessed. Thank you God for a second chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment