Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Can you really have it all?

I was born January 8, 1981 (1-8-81, isn't that freaky? Makes me think I'm extra special) .  I am indeed a Capricorn.  I very strong Capricorn at that.  When I referred to www.astrology.com, the first few words about Capricorns were as follows:

Capricorn, the tenth sign of the zodiac, is all about hard work. Those born under this sign are more than happy to put in a full day at the office, realizing that it will likely take a lot of those days to get to the top. That's no problem, since Capricorns are both ambitious and determined: they will get there. Life is one big project for these folks, and they adapt to this by adopting a businesslike approach to most everything they do. Capricorns are practical as well, taking things one step at a time and being as realistic and pragmatic as possible. The Capricorn-born are extremely dedicated to their goals, almost to the point of stubbornness. 
The article goes on to state :
The Goat symbolizes Capricorns, and an apt mascot it is. Goats love to climb to the top of the mountain, where the air is clear and fresh. In much the same way, Capricorns want to get to the top of their chosen field so that they can reap the benefits of success; namely fame, prestige and money. Getting to the top isn't always a walk in the park, however, so it's likely that Goats will ruffle a few feathers along the way. These folks can indeed be domineering, even egotistical, on their route to the top. They'll tell you it's part of being a leader with bright new ideas (in keeping with the Cardinal Quality assigned to this sign).

Capricorns are industrious, efficient, organized and won't make a lot of waves. They are scrupulous with details and adopt a rather conventional posture in business and in life. These folks feel best playing it safe, since this is a fail-safe way to get to the top -- eventually.

I would agree that describes me very well.  I am a workaholic.  I am always trying to figure out how to improve the quality of my life.  It is one of my goals to retire by the age of 45.  I fully intend to have all of my entrepreneurial pursuits up and fully running themselves by that time.  So, all I think about is work, business, money and how to make more money.  I have considered the thought of love and family life, but after being in many failed relationships, I am slowly losing faith that my soulmate is out there.  Soulmate meaning, the person who will upgrade me, love me flaws and all, be my Clyde and I his Bonnie.  Where they do that at?  I don't need anyone to take care of me.  But a little loving support would go a long way.  I prefer guarantees, and love doesn't offer many.  So, I pose the question, can you really have it all?

Last week I read an article on www.RollingOut.com, titled "5 Ways You Can Have It All".  The article showed a picture of our favorite black super couples Jay-z and Beyonce' and Will and Jada Smith.  I'm looking at the picture like, wow, that's really dope!  They are two sets of very successful people who happen to also be married.  The article goes on to state in 5 simple steps how you can have it all, but I don't know that I'm convinced. 

Yesterday, I was reading an article by Forbes "Why So Few Self-Made Billionaire Women?".  I was very struck by this article.  Of 679 self-made billionaires (in contrast to inheritance), only 14 of them are women.  That is around about 2%.  I tweeted this statistic and got the response "1% being Oprah. Lol"  I didn't find it funny though.  I actually had an attitude about it.  They attributed this striking difference to women not being big risk takers, not being afforded a lot of opportunities, or women prefer raising a family in lieu of a glitzy career.  All I could think about is the numerous stories I've seen on tv or the big screen of women who are lumped into one of two categories:  Those who are the Samantha Jones, super bitch, powerful CEO types or those who have the Cinderella story of how they wanted to be a dancer or a singer, and were very talented, but chose to start a family and live in the shadow of their seemingly more successful husband.  I don't know that I want to live either of these existences.  I love the fact that I am very independent, but would also have to be with a mate that would honor and respect that about me.  I would love to have a family, but not at the expense of me being able to live up to my fullest potential.  Can you really have both?


No comments:

Post a Comment