Friday, June 11, 2010

Are covers explicit or do you have to read the WHOLE book?

I have always been a master of disguise. Come on, my name is Heather. Like my REAL first name is Heather. How many black Heathers do you know? Sometimes I can get really extra and proper on the phone because that seems to get things done. My name and persona don't always seem to match what one may THINK is my demographic. I love talking to someone on the phone and then meeting them in person...It's like "Ooooooh, so YOU'RE Heather?". Smile. "Yes, I'M Heather". They walk away only to return later, "Heather?" As if in the time that they were gone, I suddenly became Tamika or Shay Shay or Labonquenesha. My mother was NO fool and certainly didn't raise one, but it's always extremely amusing to me. It's refreshing and delightful to find those who are intelligent and humble enough to treat me with respect regardless of what my name is or what I look like.

At first glance, when I say I'm from the East Side and I live in Decatur, "where it's greater", I'm already getting the side eye. Then factor in my magenta (yes, magenta) dread locs and my affinity for down south booty shake music, after all, I am a product of my environment, and all hell breaks loose!

My freshman year at Hampton University taught me a lot. I got called "country", although I've NEVER lived on a farm. Wait, my grandfather grew peanuts and moscadines, does that count? Anyway, I also got called "ghetto", I've NEVER lived in a ghetto either. Simply because my dialect obviously denoted that I was from the south. One dude even ventured so far as to ask me if my mother drove a tractor to work. Smile. I could've chosen to be offended, but I knew the baby honestly didn't know any better.

As a child, I was always plagued by "talking white" and having a "white name". "You must be stuck up?". I never understood why I MUST be stuck up...Curious, observant, cautious, skeptical, sometimes demanding. I don't know that I would say "stuck up.". I've always been a people watcher. That's a defense mechanism for me. I've always felt like the people strong enough in their character to seek out mine, were "worthy" of my time & friendship. I guess I do sound stuck up, huh. Touche'

I learned a valuable lesson about judging a book by it's cover when I met "the prototype.". He was very humbly secure and confident...sexy...But initially I was certainly acting like a B-I-T-C-H. And it's unfortunate, because I'm really sweet as pie. But some people will exploit that, so I feel like I have to ward off the fraudulent folks. Please think I'm stuck up and just don't talk to me. Same thing with my best friend. He looks like he could be a member of Young Money, but when he opens his mouth, he's incredibly intelligent and well read.

I suppose, of course, there are times when the cover glitters, but certainly isn't gold, bronze, silver or a metal at all! I like bright colors, so bright colorful people often attract my attention. But I'm also curious about that person sitting off to themselves, that nobody's talking to. To be honest they typically have the best stories. In fact, that person used to be me. So, I can relate. To each his own on deciding how to filter people, but don't miss out on something or someone good because you judged by the cover. Smooches!
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...Interesting...I have definitely had similar experiences. It's important to read the whole book...when time and opportunity allows...then again these days you have to search for so much truth within the pages sometimes it's not even worth it. :-)

    ReplyDelete