Sunday, June 20, 2010

Odd Man Out

Last night, I attended a gathering at a friend's house.  I was the only single female, or even single person period,  in attendance.  I am very sensitive and observant to human behavior and found the dynamic to be interesting.  I am a businesswoman by nature, I look people in the eye when I speak and always deliver a firm handshake.  I understand this makes some people uncomfortable, but part of how I judge whether to take someone seriously is based on their handshake.  In selling myself, I smile often and talk to everyone, with the rationale that you never know who you may meet.  In contrast, sometimes I would say that I am made of solid pheromones.  I don't even try, I'm just very sensual.
I'm sitting in the dark, a new couple enter the house.  They halfway speak with that "Who the hell is she?" look on their face.  I smile and speak back.  Later, I return to the kitchen where the women are standing around drinking wine.  I get interrogated by the wife of the couple.  I don't even know that she introduced herself.  "So, do you work with her? Are you from here? How do you know the family? Do you live near by? Where do you get your hair done?  Where'd you go to school?" Smiles.
I know at times I can have a very mischievous and mysterious aura.  I receive that, it is what it is.  This situation sparked a thought.  I remember as a young woman, listening to the elder women, "Don't leave NO WOMAN alone with your man" or other similar-referenced advice.  By force of habit and training, I won't be left alone in the room with anybody's husband, boyfriend, boothang, whatever she may be referring to him as a on a particular day.  Just out of respect and also to protect myself from ANY potential drama.
In retrospect, I now understand.  I strongly suspect that one of my close friends has been intimate with at least my last boyfriend.  I can totally understand why, she knew everything about him, straight from the bird's mouth.  She knew where he lived, where he worked, who the crew was, where he hung out and even probably how he was hung for that matter.  I gave her all the information she needed.  She knew enough about my habits to pull it off almost seamlessly.  I can only blame myself for that one.  Who knew the elder women weren't speaking gibberish?  Smiles.  Lesson learned.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely agree with the advice of the old wise women, lol! I also believe that the downfall of many relationships is that there are so many people involved in them. Meaning, a lot of times people tell their friends and family way too much about their mate/relationship. I think if two people keep their relationship's challenges and successes to themselves then their bond would be much more solid. We all know that when something is solid or deeply bonded, it's that much more difficult to infiltrate!

    ReplyDelete