Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Dream Giver

I've been reading the book, The Dream Giver by Bruce Wilkinson. I, like so many others, find myself feeling like the main character in the book, Ordinary. Last week, I was expressing my frustration with not quite being sure which path to take in my life to my friend who gave me the book...God was working through her. During the course of the week, I spoke to my sweetheart, my best friend and a few other aquaintances about my desire to be a fashion designer. Every single person encouraged me to pursue it. My sweetie actually replied "If that's what you've always wanted to do and it will make you happy, you should do it. Like it was really just that simple. It's been my dream since I was a little girl. In fact when I applied to go to Hampton, I really wanted to go to Parsons for Fashion Design, but was told it was too frivolous and I would need something to "fall back on." So here I am 10 years later and the fashion design dream is resurrecting in my spirit. A few days ago, I went to a random part of town to pick up a new cell phone. I went into Panera Bread company for lunch. That wasn't even part of my plan for the day, as I had other errands to run. I sat at the table alone, playing with my new toy and taking bites of my food in between. The most random lady walked up to me totally unnoticed and said "I see you have a new toy." I looked up and smiled an embarassed smile before replying "Yes, I do." She went on to tell me about her techie sons who were ironically around the same age as myself. One works for Pixar in California and the other a freelance artist of some sort. She asked what I did when I wasn't having lunch in Panera. I explained that I am currently a full-time student pursuing my MBA. She sounded so excited and asked to sit down. I would've offered, but I suppose I was so stunned that the conversation was even occuring. She asked what I wanted to do with my MBA, I explained that I wanted to take a stab at fashion design, but felt that having business expertise would allow me to create a better foundation and a successful business. She then began to tell me about her friend's daughter who had her wedding dress designed by a young lady who was creating designs at no cost to build her portfolio. She said the daughter had to fly to NY for the fittings, but that the dress turned out beautiful. How remarkable? I tell her that I want to apply for Parsons next fall. Her face lit up again. She said that she owned her own graphic design business and that most of the people in her family were artistic. She went on to add that Parsons was an excellent school and that I should apply. Before leaving, we exchanged numbers and she promised to pass my information along to the fashion designer in NY who had created the wedding dress. Now if that isn't confirmation, I don't know what is. :-)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment